Commitment Towards Young Lawyers and Law Student Advancement

Sunday 25 June 2017

BAR FINAL: TIME OUT WITH ADAOBI PROMISE


Greetings to our fellow Bar Aspirant!!! for the next couple of weeks we have decided to upload Faith provoking post and advice from First Class Students. The aim of these posts is to build faith in you as you prepare for BAR FINALS
                               
BAR FINAL is not Final
                              It will come and Go
                             Like Ghana Must Go
                           But I know my Goal
                          I will hit it and Go
                        Bar Final is not Final…………


P.S: This is not a religious blog but we believe in God. So irrespective of your religion, see this as an inspiring and motivating post.

Today we have  Madubuobu Promise Adaobi, she is an NYSC Associate at Templars. She is working on a self-help book with some colleagues. She is interested in law,politics and human development. It is her goal to build a platform that will nurture, project, and celebrate talents. She believes that anyone can be great.It is a choice to be made. She also believes in grace,it is available for all.
The aim of this post is to;
1.      Calm the fear in the Heart of many preparing for Bar Final
2.      Suggest ways in which bar aspirant can balance externship period and preparation for Bar Final
3.      Advice on Portfolio assessment
4.      What next after Law School?

QUESTION 1
Can we meet you Sir, (Your name, occupation and any other information about yourself you would want us to know)

I am Promise Adaobi Madubuobu, an associate with Templars and a graduate of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.

QUESTION 2
Sir, can you share your experience about Law School?

My experience in law school is a lifetime treasure. Very similar to what so many persons are going through now and will still be similar to what some persons would experience in the nearest future. Those 9 months were quite drilling and interesting too. I found myself in Yola campus and I enjoyed every bit of it, especially the serene environment. The truth is that we had a wide scope of things to read, the whole pre-class meetings and activities, the timing was short and the pace was swift. So many tips and stories on how to succeed were flying in the air. I bet you, you could hear a thousand and one different things on how to succeed. But, by the grace of God, I was able to sift what I needed from the multitude of details around the corner. I chose to work and it was not just about the work- there was a place for consistency, diligence and grace. I was interested in the kind of work that would distinguish me. That meant staying awake all nights and I have no regrets. It also meant listening attentively to grab the tips from the lecturers and asking questions to be cleared on every point. It meant using my past questions as a guide to decipher the mindset of the examiner with respect question and answer patterns. Most importantly, it meant having a great deal of faith that could move mountains.

QUESTION 3
Thank you sir, can you tell us what were the Challenges you faced in law School?

TIME AND FORGETFULNESS. Yes, the time was not enough and even if the program was stretched till date, it would not be enough. I had my own share of forgetfulness and despite all the readings, I still forgot some things.  I realized that if only I could be consistent in my studies, I can boost my confidence and face bar exams squarely. I realized that the examiner knows that the time is short and the scope is wide and they are part of the examination. So, it became obvious to me that I am required to deal with the scope within the limited time and emerge successful. This is also applicable in practice where you have clients whose deadline are so short and you are expected to turn in a top quality work otherwise, you may lose the client. Rather than allowing the limited time and enormous scope to subsume me in fear, I maximized every opportunity, knowing fully well that how bountiful my harvest would be depends on what I did during the planting season.

QUESTION 4
At what point did you realize that you would finish with a First Class sir?

Our second Sunday on campus was the day I made up my mind that I can’t take anything less. From that day henceforth, I believed it and I worked towards it. As flimsy as it may sound, I was told that a First class meant having an opportunity to shake hands with the Body of Benchers, and really, it was part of my motivation. It was in the course of the program, with each new day, that I built on my motivation and I found more compelling reasons not to give up.

QUESTION 5
Share your Externship experience with us

That was the time I used to dot my Is and cross my Ts. It was everything to me and I had my timetable which I was faithful to it. Although there were few slips but somehow they were insignificant. I used it to catch up with my colleagues and discuss with them. That was when a whole lot of topics became clearer to me and I was able to run through my courses. I really don’t know how many times because I was enjoying what I was doing. However, even after the externship, I still felt inadequate with respect to some courses and I really had to keep studying and praying. In other words, even after your externship, you still have to keep up with the momentum.

QUESTION 6
How were you able to balance between Externship and reading sir?

My weekends were hallowed and my nights were treasured. I would do everything possible to ensure that I studied at night. I was lucky to have some days off so I really maximized the rare opportunity. I tried to practice what we have been taught. Honestly, I don’t know if I did anything special other than been persistent and avoiding excuses.

QUESTION 7
How was your portfolio assessment?

It was seamless. I didn’t even know when it happened because the picture I had was so large. I will advise that you prepare for it and it will be a walk over. Make sure that you are confident and ready to impart what you have learnt during your externship. The moment you stand to address the members of your panel, you own the whole stage and you are presumed to be correct. So, prepare to make the presumption irrefutable.

QUESTION 8
Please what is ethical dilemma? And how do we write it sir?

It is a prose-like write up that can be either a fiction or a non-fiction and portrays the dilemma of a lawyer. The dilemma is about a lawyer who finds himself in a situation where either of the decision he takes would transgress the ethics of the legal profession. For instance, you are moving an application for bail on behalf of your client who has been in detention for one year, and in the middle of your presentation, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria steps in and seeks the audience of the court. Surprisingly, the court stopped your matter midway and availed the learned senior advocate an opportunity to do his case. The dilemma the scenario presents is one that bothers on your duty to your client, observance of the hierarchy at the bar and respect to the court. Whatever decision you make would necessarily amount to transgressing the other duties you have as a legal practitioner.

QUESTION 9
What will be your advice to bar aspirant in preparing for Bar Final

I would say that you are adequate and you are able to conquer the system. You have all it takes to get all you want from Law school. The heat is so much now and the pressure is building. There are so many uncertainties in the air; however, whether you will key into the uncertainties is your decision to make.
I will advise that you keep your eyes on the crown and your hands on the plough and keep tilling. You have barely 3 months to be done with this and you will never do it again. Law school is incapable of killing you. Endeavor to study consistently, and effectively. Do not be overwhelmed by the speed of others, master your own pace and work with what you have. Make sure that you have atleast considered your past questions so that you can ascertain the question patterns. Do not gamble on any topic because every topic is a potential area for your examination questions. Avoid preferring any course to the detriment of others. As far as Law School is concerned, all courses are on the same pedestal. Note however that some courses are wider in scope and demands more time- so, create that extra time for those courses. Make sure that you don’t read your drafts but your practice them. Ensure that you have atleast read all the topics before your exam- that alone has a way of boosting your confidence. Above all, trust God.

QUESTION 10
How is Life after Law School?

It is another phase and you still need hardwork, perseverance, faith and hope as companions. You are thrown into the deep and you just have to find a way to navigate and resurface with the requisite experience. It also a time to really decide which way to go- to remain a practicing lawyer or to find another niche. It is a very long journey with so many sides. I am just starting off and as usual the top is the target.

QUESTION 11
Your final words for the Bar Aspirant…

Dear Aspirants, we know that bar result may not determine your future or your fortunes in life, but it’s part of your story and you can make it glamorous. Give this your best shot and always give your best wherever you find yourself.
Avoid people who instigate fear in you and cling to those whose words and conduct strengthen your confidence. Some persons may be of the view that they can’t meet up because they believe that they have not covered. Trust me, it is not that serious and you can still make it if you start now! It is never late until you give up on yourself. Take a deep breath, re-strategize, build your focus and swiftly take off. Finally, make sure that you establish relationships that will outlive the four walls of Law School because Law school also has a social face.

I wish you all the very best.
                                                      
                                                             THANK YOU SIR.....

I BELIEVE YOU WERE BLESSED BY THE WORDS OF MRS. PROMISE

Please don't allow Fear to overcome you, success is sure for us in this Bar Final. #iwillpassbarfinal #shaganna.....

READ AND SHARE!!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment