Commitment Towards Young Lawyers and Law Student Advancement

Tuesday 17 October 2017

THE JOURNEY OF A YOUNG LAWYER: HOW TO SURVIVE IN THE LEGAL PROFESSION (EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH CHIDI ODOEMENAM Esq)


The purpose of this interview session is aimed at drawing from wealth of experience and knowledge. Our inspiration is from the words of EUGENE C.BLACKARD:
’Never be afraid to ask for direction on how to practice law more effectively. Everyone is afraid to look foolish but the practice of law is a collaborative endeavor. You don’t get to practice law by yourself’’
AND CYNDEE TODGHAM CHERNIAK:
            ‘’Embrace the fact that in your first year of practice that you are still learning. Law school does not teach you everything that you need to know to practice law-far from it’’


ABOUT CHIDI ODOEMENAM
THE ASSERTION “OLD AGE OF METHUSELAH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WISDOM OF SOLOMON’’ HAS ITS VALIDITY IN CHIDI. A YOUNG AND PROMISING LAWYER, WHO IS MAKING WAVES IN CORPORATE LAW PRACTICE IN NIGERIA

HE IS CURRENTLY A CORPORATE ASSOCIATE WITH ALUKO & OYEBODE. HE REGULARLY ACTS AS TRANSACTIONAL AND ADVISORY COUNSEL TO INTERNATIONAL AND LOCAL CORPORATIONS ON CROSS-BORDER AND BIG TICKET TRANSACTIONS




SIR, CAN YOU SHARE WITH US YOUR FAMILY BACKGROUND, AND DOES IT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR CHOICE OF LAW?

CO:  I grew up in an academic environment, my Mum being a lecturer who had studied to Ph.d level. At an early age, I consumed a lot of Shakespeare, African literature and history books, which were books my Mum would use in preparing her lecture notes. I found an early love for writing, composition and regulation in a lot of these books. I eventually figured that my love for writing would be most useful in the legal profession.

SIR, WHO WAS YOUR BIGGEST INFLUENCE WHILE GROWING UP?

CO: My parents. Their resilience and drive to attain the highest possible positions in their respective careers serves as motivation to me till date

SIR, WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO STUDY LAW?

CO: I have always wanted to be a “wall street lawyer”. I admired investment bankers and the corporate deal makers in the corporate sector. I figured that since I didn’t like mathematics, my only way to get in was through law. I have always been interested in advising large corporate, and law presented a unique window.

SIR, CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT ANY EXPERIENCE YOU HAD AS A YOUNG LAWYER?

CO: Working in one of the top commercial law firms in the Country, I have been part of various teams within the firm that has advised clients on big-ticket and noteworthy transactions. Notwithstanding the fact that I am barely a year into the profession, my firm’s development policy ensures that young lawyers like myself are given advanced roles and exposures in transactions, and this translates to a lot of experience within a short period of time. I also appreciate working and learning from the best corporate lawyers in the country.

SIR, WHAT THE MAJOR CHALLENGE YOU HAVE FACED AS A YOUNG LAWYER?

CO: My challenges which I would not necessarily term challenges in the profession were managing client expectations, excessive workloads and delivery. When I first started working, I would promise clients “heavy” deliverables within tight deadlines, and which I would eventually not meet. However, with the help of experienced mentors within my firm and much more transactional experience, I am learning how to manage client expectations to deliver quality work within realistic deadlines.

I was also faced with the “customary” harsh reality of a new corporate lawyer, being that University and Law School does not prepare one for the fast-paced and technical nature of the profession.

HOW WAS YOUR FIRST JOB INTERVIEW?

CO: I have had my fair share of at least of 4 job/internship interviews. My first interview for an internship position at a top law firm before law school modelled my approach towards future interviews. I expressed my interest in Oil & Gas law to my interviewers who would ask me various questions on Nigeria’s gas laws. The rest of the interview was conversational and we discussed why I wanted to intern with the firm.

My first real job interview was with my Firm (where I had interned some months back). Having worked with various teams in the firm, I was able to discuss the tasks I had handled as an intern with interviewers. 

SIR, WHO IS YOUR MENTOR/ROLE MODEL IN THE LEGAL PROFESSION?

CO: Before starting a career in corporate law, I carefully studied the career paths of established corporate lawyers such as Mr. Gbenga Oyebode, Professor Koyinsola Ajayi, Professor Gbolahan Elias, Mr. Kem Ihenacho and Mr. Olumide Oladosu. My study of the career paths chosen by these established corporate lawyers affords me the opportunity of “cherry picking” pieces of their career decisions and using them to plan mine.

SIR, IN OTHER COUNTRIES THEY ENCOURAGE TUTELAGE AND MENTORSHIP AS A REQUIREMENT FOR EVERY YOUNG LAWYERS, WILL YOU SUPPORT A LEGISLATION MAKING IT COMPULSORY FOR EVERY YOUNG LAWYER TO UNDERGO TUTELAGE

CO: Although mentorship and tutelage are two key aspects of development for young lawyers, I don’t think legislating them would provide needed results. For mentorship and tutelage to be effective in Nigeria’s legal sphere, young lawyers themselves would have to display the hunger and drive to be mentored and then identify and reach out to potential mentors. The experienced lawyers who the young lawyers reach out to must also help out the young lawyers.

SIR, HOW DO YOU THINK THE TUTELAGE PROGRAM BE ENFORCED AND REALISTIC 

CO: I believe that a conscious effort by the senior lawyers and the NBA in general would aid implementation. Senior lawyers often complain of poor quality of entry-level lawyers, while they could have aided in mentoring to prepare the young lawyers for practice. Law firms and the NBA should organise periodic trainings and mentorship programme for law undergraduates and young lawyers. 

WHAT IS THE STATE OF WELFARE OF YOUNG LAWYERS IN NIGERIA?

CO: When compared with their counterparts in other jurisdictions, the state of welfare of young lawyers in Nigeria is really poor. Most young lawyers are currently underemployed by senior lawyers who either pay them below the minimum wage, or don’t pay at all. The sole proprietorship law firms are particularly guilty of this. I personally know of law firms run by big SANs who don’t pay NYSC at all.

The big law firms who pay considerable well do not employ much lawyers at entry level. Considering the cost and duration of legal education in Nigeria, the profession is currently letting young lawyers down.

SIR, THERE IS A PROVERB THAT; ‘’ALL LAWYERS ARE LIARS”. WHAT WILL YOU DO IF YOU AT A DILEMMA TO REPRESENT A CLIENT BUT HAVE TO BEND THE LAW?

CO: As a corporate and commercial lawyer, I believe I owe my clients a commercial duty to advise them on how to effectively minimise risk and maximise profits in their businesses by using the extant provisions of the law, or by exploiting the loopholes in the law. It would be unethical on my part, and on the part of any lawyer to misrepresent the position of the law.

SIR, CAN YOU TELL US HOW YOU HAVE BEING SURVIVING IN THE LEGAL PROFESSION?

CO: “laughs”. I have been surviving o. Well, it depends on how you define surviving. I have been treated really well by my law firm, “pay check wise” and training wise.

SIR, CAN YOU SAY THE LEGAL EDUCATION IN THE UNIVERSITY AND LAW SCHOOL ADEQUATELY PREPARED YOU AS A YOUNG LAWYER FOR LEGAL PRACTICE IN REALITY?

CO: I acknowledge the efforts of our lecturers and the entire academic system both at the University level and the Law School level. However, I must also say that much more can be done. Our legal education is too theoretical for actual practice, and produces students who lack analytical skills or any actual knowledge of how to apply the law. Truthfully, my legal education at the University and Law School prepared me to a level of maybe 40% for practice. My internships make up the 60%.

SIR, WITH YOUR LITTLE EXPOSURE, WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TOP LAW FIRM TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION BEFORE EMPLOYING A YOUNG LAWYER?

CO: Top law firms look for young lawyers who can actually analyse and solve the business problems and issues presented by clients. This does not necessarily entail knowledge of the law, but the ability to learn on the job and apply the law in a concise manner to effectively advice the client is key. Other requirements include good grades, prior internship/trainee experience and commercial awareness.

SIR, DO YOU BELIEVE THAT NIGERIA STILL NEEDS MORE LAWYERS?

CO: Nigeria actually needs less lawyers. The profession and employers of labour in the sector are not considering expansion plans to accommodate the incredibly high number of lawyers that are admitted into the profession on a yearly basis. In years to come, Nigeria may have a high number of lawyers roaming the streets jobless.

SIR, DO YOU HAVE ANY PLAN TO START YOUR OWN LAW FIRM? AT WHAT TIME DO YOU PLAN TO DO THIS?

CO: I don’t think it’s really a necessity for every lawyer to start a law firm. I don’t know what the future holds in the next 20 years, but I plan on gaining valuable experience by qualifying and practising in the United States and the Middle East.

FINALLY SIR, WHAT DO YOU THINK THE LEGAL PROFESSION CAN CONTRIBUTE TO THE FIGHT AGAINST CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA?

CO: What the profession can do is not to drive corruption. There should be a conscious effort by lawyers and the players in the judiciary to eradicate corruption in the judiciary which is becoming an embarrassing dent on the legal profession.




‘’The bridge between the successful man and the poor man is knowledge and hard work.
No matter the degree of prayers from your "pastor" and prophecies of "evil machinations", without hard work, the poor man's hope and prayers for success remains a mirage…….’’

‘’The path towards becoming a successful lawyer is a very hard one. One can only try and pray’’

1 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing information regarding Register A Corporation for Lawyers. It is really beneficial for everyone.

    ReplyDelete